In case you haven’t heard, there was a little fork of the OpenOffice project not too long ago. They can explain the reasons for it a whole lot better than I can, so I’m not going to. Normally, I never built OpenOffice on Gentoo because I knew it would take a darn long time, and the pre-built 32-bit binaries worked well enough. With the fork, I decided to try it out anyway.
It’s somewhat easier to do with the instructions for LibreOffice. Download a
bootstrapping tarball, and run a few commands. It’s not as easy as the usual
./configure; make; make install, but pretty close.
First step is to configure and download all the dependencies. I tried to make
it use as many system libraries as I could so as to limit the build size/time.
The largest one left was Firefox/xulrunner which seemingly isn’t built with the
correct flags on Fedora. So that all took up about 2-3GB. Then a “quick”
later, and voilà:
It only 4 hours 20 minutes to build. After building, it all took up a mere
7GB or so. It turns out that the install instructions on the Get
Involved page are
incorrect, but the wiki How to
Build page is.
So I used
make dev-install and everything ends up in
Unlike what it says in the wiki, the makefile does not print the location of
the final install. Fortunately, it wasn’t too hard to find, in
cd ./build/install/program; . ./ooenv;
./soffice.bin -writer and there you go:
Now I just have to figure out something to contribute.