Oops, again a bit late, but the past two weekends were fairly busy. I decided to post this today so that it wouldn’t slip another full week. So this probably looks a bit larger than usual, but I hope I didn’t miss anything. Two weeks ago was rather busy with many updates. Not just new releases, but I also spent a little time going over old updates that I’ve missed and ignored due to missing dependencies.
I’ve imported my previous BlogSpot posts, and cleaned up a few dead links and other issues.
I meant to post this last weekend, but was too busy then. There were a lot of updates this past week, mostly in R and Python. These were mostly routine, and I did not run into many issues except for a few new (aka, to-be-packaged) dependencies. I found a bug in the R-IRkernel package, where the Jupyter kernel spec was encoding the path to the internal R executable. This executable path is arch-specific, while the package was not.
Inspired by @decathorpe and the release of Fedora 30, I’ve decided to start making semi-weekly updates of my packaging work in Fedora. I only say “semi-weekly” as I’m not sure I can commit to every week. Here’s a short look back at the past few years of packaging. I started packaging quite some time back using copr to create Fedora packages for some things I’ve worked on (ObsPy, Cartopy, etc.), but only started officially packaging things in August 2017.
Note: Library and Archives Canada has since added an index, so this page is unlikely to be of any additional help. Check out their new page instead. This weekend, Ancestry.ca held another of their “freebies”, with access to Canadian Military records for the past 5 or so days. In general, I assumed that I already have most of the information since they were available from the previous freebies as well as free on the Government of Canada or CWGC sites.
Way back in 2010, I attended the GSoC Mentors Summit. I thought that would be a perfect time to get a new GPG key signed by a lot of people. Unfortunately, I decided to do this the night before flying out to Mountain View. With the lack of sleep, long flight, and busy weekend, I promptly forgot the passphrase to that key. For quite a while, I tried to remember or somehow guess the passphrase, to no avail.
It’s been a busy week, but my poster for AGU is finally printed and ready to go. Here’s a small copy of it: Note, ImageMagick doesn’t seem to convert to colours exactly correct, so you may want to check out the PDF. If you want to have a look at the full PDF, check out the ePoster at the AGU. That page has the abstract, and you can click “View ePoster” for the poster.
One of the bugs I encountered after upgrading to Fedora 17 is that my music library seemed to have disappeared in Rhythmbox. In fact, everything appeared in the Missing Files view. The strange thing is that all the files appeared exactly where Rhythmbox thought they should be. In fact, I could even play them directly from the Missing Files view! Anyway, after a bit of searching, it appears that I am facing this bug.
So, a new release of Fedora was set free just last week, the so-called “Beefy Miracle”. A couple of releases ago (or maybe last release), I had really thought I might wait at least a month after a release before upgrading. Turns out my curiosity got the best of me, and I went and upgraded my laptop mere days after the release. Fortunately, this release has been much much better right out of the box.
Video editing is one of those domains for which there are some expensive options and several attempts at open source alternatives. Unfortunately, few efforts have even gotten past the first few months. A couple months ago, I had to do some “video” editing. I put that in quotes because in fact, it was more of a slideshow. I had done something similar a few years ago in PowerPoint. After the pain of that experience, I was quite certain I didn’t want to do it that way again.