Fedora Update Weeks 39–45

Somehow, my semi-weekly updates turned into monthly things. Mostly, updates per week have been rather light and stable, so it always seemed that there was no need to write an update. Of course, that ends up meaning one really large update after a long time. This past week was pretty busy, so I thought it best to finally write up a post. One small changeset was removing automated Suggests from R packages when they do not exist in Fedora yet.
Continue reading... →

Migrating from Docker to Podman

If you use Docker, you may or may not have already heard of Podman. It is an alternative container engine, and while I don’t have much knowledge of the details, there are a few reasons why I’m switching: Podman runs in rootless mode, i.e., it does not need a daemon running as root; Podman supports new things like cgroupsv2 (coming in Fedora 31); Docker (actually moby-engine) is difficult to keep up-to-date in Fedora (which may correlate with point 2), and people seem to complain about this (though I’ve not cared too much.
Continue reading... →

Fedora Update Weeks 35–38

It’s been quite some time since the last update, but things have been rather calm. There’s been the usual round of updated packages, and a few new dependencies. Otherwise, there’s not been anything out of the ordinary.
Continue reading... →

Fedora Update Weeks 33–34

The past two weeks have been rather simple, just catching up on the remaining updates from release monitoring, and also those that monitoring missed. I’m also working through some build/test failures for various reasons. Most failures are around the Python 3.8 rebuild. Generally, upstreams are aware of the problems, or I could have reported a bug about it. So fixing these involve backporting fixes that are to be in the next releases.
Continue reading... →

Fedora Update Weeks 31–32

It’s been a couple of weeks, so it’s time for another Fedora packaging update. There were two major things over that time: 1) Fedora 31 was branched from Rawhide, and 2) release monitoring started working again. The branch point also meant that the Change Code Complete deadline was passed. As part of the Go SIG, I was one of the packagers behind the Adopt new Go Packaging Guidelines Change. As mentioned in the last post, this was mostly handled by @eclipseo and the tracker bug was marked complete for it just earlier.
Continue reading... →

Fedora Update Weeks 25–30

It has been quite a long time since the last post, unfortunately, but I’m not gone yet. I was fairly busy for a couple of weeks, and then taking a little break while waiting for the Fedora 31 Mass Rebuild to finish. But here we go with what’s been taking place. The major bit of work leading up to the Mass Rebuild was getting all Go packages up do date to the newly approved Guidelines.
Continue reading... →

Fedora Update Week 23–24

It’s been another two weeks, so time for another update. Package updates have been rather calm since the last post. I continue to work on adding R packages, and some new things, like glava, the OpenGL audio spectrum analyzer, which can produce cool things like: Updated packages Package Version Notes R-deldir 0.1.21-1 R-ellipsis 0.2.0-1 Rawhide only R-formatR 1.
Continue reading... →

Fedora Update Week 20–22

Oops, again a bit late, but the past two weekends were fairly busy. I decided to post this today so that it wouldn’t slip another full week. So this probably looks a bit larger than usual, but I hope I didn’t miss anything. Two weeks ago was rather busy with many updates. Not just new releases, but I also spent a little time going over old updates that I’ve missed and ignored due to missing dependencies.
Continue reading... →

Imported BlogSpot posts

I’ve imported my previous BlogSpot posts, and cleaned up a few dead links and other issues.
Continue reading... →

Fedora Update Week 17–19

I meant to post this last weekend, but was too busy then. There were a lot of updates this past week, mostly in R and Python. These were mostly routine, and I did not run into many issues except for a few new (aka, to-be-packaged) dependencies. I found a bug in the R-IRkernel package, where the Jupyter kernel spec was encoding the path to the internal R executable. This executable path is arch-specific, while the package was not.
Continue reading... →